[PC-BSD Testing] Switching to a new CDN for Rolling Release + PBIs

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Fri Jul 5 10:27:56 PDT 2013

Everybody,

We are finally moving over to a CDN service for our network backbone.
This will quickly replace the existing system of mirrors we have been
using for the past many years. This means you will no longer have to
pick a mirror close to your geographical location to get decent speeds,
or have failed updates because the mirrors you selected is out of date
or offline.

For 9.1 Legacy Users:

To make the switch, check your system updater GUI within PC-BSD and
install / apply the CDN patch. (TrueOS users can run the command:
"pc-updatemanager check") This will automatically switch your system
updates, packages and PBI services over to using the new CDN.

For Rolling Release Users:

To make the switch check your system updater GUI and apply the CDN
patch. Due to some recent breakage in PKGNG, you may need to manually do
your first set of package updates for all your services to switch over.
Run these commands:

# pkg upgrade
(This should upgrade you to pkg-1.1.3_1 or later)

# pkg upgrade
(This will now upgrade your system packages to the latest set which has
CDN support)

If you run into any problems, please let us know. We would particularly
like feedback on speeds and availability so we can let our CDN provider
know.