[PC-BSD Testing] More on USB not working

Jeff dejamuse at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 29 07:02:08 PST 2013

Thanks for the reply.  Yeah, it was always flaky in the past because of HAL. Hell it wouldn't even open the pod bay doors after a while.

This was a card reader: Sony MRW 62E

# file -s /dev/da3s1

/dev/da3s1: x86 boot sector; partition 3: ID=0x70, starthead 0, startsector 3072, 0 sectors; partition 4: ID=0x42, starthead 0, startsector 1126178895, 2147503439 sectors, code offset 0x3e, OEM-ID "PwrShot ", sectors/cluster 64, root entries 512, Media descriptor 0xf8, sectors/FAT 236, heads 64, hidden sectors 135, sectors 3862393 (volumes > 32 MB) , serial number 0x4dd522fd, label: "CANON_DC   ", FAT (16 bit)

This was a thumb drive: SMI USB DISK 1100

/dev/da0: x86 boot sector, Microsoft Windows XP MBR, Serial 0xc3072e18; partition 1: ID=0x6, starthead 1, startsector 32, 4062176 sectors, code offset 0xc0

Another thumb drive: Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 PMAP

/dev/da0: x86 boot sector; partition 1: ID=0xe, active, starthead 1, startsector 8064, 3958912 sectors, code offset 0xbe

It did recognize a Samsung CD player (TSSTcorp CDDVDW SE-S084B TS01), though it took a while.  The first time I plugged it in the system spontaneously rebooted after a few seconds.

Thanks,

Jeff

>________________________________

        mount_msdosfs /dev/da3s1 /mnt

>>So why doesn't the system do this for me?
>>
>>Before it showed up in Dolphin automagically.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Jeff

>Are you only trying to use Dolphin to manage the device, or have you
    tried using the new device-mounting tray utility for 9.1?

>Dolphin (and other linux-developed file managers) usually use HAL to
    try and manage devices, but it is quite flaky on FreeBSD which is
    why I created pc-mounttray in the first place (to use the reliable
    FreeBSD methods).

>If the mount tray does not detect your device, could you send some
    info my way? Specifically, I need the output of "file -s
    <device>" which in your case looks like it should be "file -s
    /dev/da3s1".

>Thanks! The auto-detection algorithms are being continuously refined
    based on input from users like you.... :-)

>--
~~Ken Moore~~
PC-BSD/iXsystems