[PC-BSD Testing] More on USB not working

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Tue Jan 29 05:53:34 PST 2013

On 01/29/2013 08:08, Jeff wrote:
> More info on my problem getting 9.1 to see USB devices.
>
> Using camcontrol I found the device and manually mounted it:
> mount_msdosfs /dev/da3s1 /mnt
>
> So why doesn't the system do this for me?
>
> Before it showed up in Dolphin automagically.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

Are you only trying to use Dolphin to manage the device, or have you
tried using the new device-mounting tray utility for 9.1?

Dolphin (and other linux-developed file managers) usually use HAL to try
and manage devices, but it is quite flaky on FreeBSD which is why I
created pc-mounttray in the first place (to use the reliable FreeBSD
methods).

If the mount tray does not detect your device, could you send some info
my way? Specifically, I need the output of "file -s <device>" which in
your case looks like it should be "file -s /dev/da3s1".

Thanks! The auto-detection algorithms are being continuously refined
based on input from users like you.... :-)

--
~~Ken Moore~~
PC-BSD/iXsystems