[PC-BSD Testing] where did my icons go?

Julian Elischer julian at freebsd.org
Wed Jan 9 10:11:16 PST 2013

On 1/9/13 6:33 AM, Ken Moore wrote:
> On 01/09/2013 06:44, Julian Elischer wrote:
>> I just upgraded from 9.1-RC3 to 9.1 and the icons in my screen (the
>> default 3, appcafe, and two others (system management I think was
>> another), have disappeared.
>> also the little starry thing on the top right hand corner of the (KDE)
>> screen has gone away.
>>
>> any ideas as to why?
>> It's a test vmware image. All I do on it is upgrades and I've never
>> fiddled with any settings. literally I installed RC2, upgraded to
>> RC3 and then RELEASE and now the icons are gone.
>>
>> no settings were touched on the way.
>>
>> Julian
>
> Are you sure that you logged in to KDE and not something else like
> fluxbox?
>
> I have noticed that the upgrade does not always install all the base
> DE packages if any of the sub-packages were also selected. So it is
> usually a good idea to re-add the DE from the system manager after an
> upgrade just to make sure everything is there.

ok this is going to take a while..

In the meanwhile, it's very confusing that there seem to be three
completely separate management windows..  pcbsd control panel, PCBSD
system configuration, and "Settings"
it's a complete mystery as to which one to go to to change things.
I guess it's because we take in external components.. but it's still
confusing.

I've also seenthat during upgrade teh network is 90% idle.
we should think of a way to make the downloads happen more
in parallel, or happen in some 'bulk' manner.. the startup and
shutdown time for each file is too much overhead..

maybe we could use some scheme like rsync or something that can
aggregate many files over a single link.