[PC-BSD Testing] Rolling release criticism

Mike Barnard mike.barnardq at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 10:01:05 PST 2013

On 18 December 2013 15:13, Claudio L. <claudio at hpgcc3.org> wrote:

> On 12/18/2013 01:15, Mike Barnard wrote:
>

>> Claudio,
>>
>> The idea of STABLE reflects a picture of a pre-tested, clean, few if not
>> zero vulnerabilities. RELEASE speaks of just that, tested up to a point we
>> are comfortable releasing for users to play around with. Just thinking,
>> what if STABLE remained as thus, stable with the packages updated to this
>> branch every two months as you suggest. Any one picking the stable version
>> knows they are picking production quality PCBSD. RELEASE then remains where
>> packages are shipped in as fast as you can and this runs as the semi-stable
>> platform for near cutting edge technology. This then leaves CURRENT with
>> all the experimental stuff, and bleeding edge technology.
>>
>> Follow the FreeBSD tree. Whoever wants a stable production system goes
>> for STABLE, if you want to test new packages, run RELEASE and if you want
>> get into the bleeding edge, take CURRENT
>>

> Either I got it backwards or you did. I think the name is a bit
> misleading, but I understood RELEASE is more stable than STABLE.
> STABLE gives you the mental picture of production quality, but in reality
> it means stable as in "pushed out as soon as it stopped crashing", versus
> CURRENT, which is "still might crash".
> The STABLE branch is a development one, while RELEASE is the production
> quality one. PCBSD being a rolling release works more like STABLE, getting
> new packages as they come (but the base system tracks RELEASE on freebsd,
> to increase confusion).
> In fact it's so confusing, we should forget about STABLE and RELEASE
> names. The idea is to have one PCBSD "EDGE" and one PCBSD "PRODUCTION"
> branches. Or something like that.

You are right[1], I got it backwards or is it mixed up or is it confused...
It goes like -CURRENT, then -STABLE, then -RELEASE

-STABLE actually is still developmental, but not cutting edge like -CURRENT

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/current-stable.html

--
Mike

Of course, you might discount this possibility, but remember that one in a
million chances happen 99% of the time.