[PC-BSD Testing] Rolling release criticism

Mike Barnard mike.barnardq at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 22:15:27 PST 2013

On 17 December 2013 22:00, Claudio L. <claudio at hpgcc3.org> wrote:

> From all the great comments in this thread, I extracted a few clear things:
>
> 1) Some people want stability, some people want bleeding edge even if they
> bleed to death. We should find a way to please both types of users.
> 2) Now that boot environments is included out of the box, adding automatic
> snapshots before applying updates is a great idea.
>
> Now a new idea:
> The release/stable idea from FreeBSD could be adapted to PCBSD, but not
> necessarily with the same meaning. For example, we could have the stable
> branch just the same as it is now, with packages as fast as you can. There
> could be another branch "release", that perhaps gets packages only after
> they've been out for at least 2 months (just throwing a number) on the
> stable branch.
> The way it seems to work now, you send the package out, then you get an
> avalanche of complaints, and you get it fixed in a matter of days  by
> pushing a package fix. So what if you let the package "mature" for two
> months on "stable" (get all the complaints and fixes in those 2 months),
> then the package is moved to the release branch (with any hot fixes
> included). That would give you time to correct any wreckage before it
> reaches people using the "release" repo.
> Will that please both the "bleeding edge" and the "stability first" users?

Claudio,

The idea of STABLE reflects a picture of a pre-tested, clean, few if not
zero vulnerabilities. RELEASE speaks of just that, tested up to a point we
are comfortable releasing for users to play around with. Just thinking,
what if STABLE remained as thus, stable with the packages updated to this
branch every two months as you suggest. Any one picking the stable version
knows they are picking production quality PCBSD. RELEASE then remains where
packages are shipped in as fast as you can and this runs as the semi-stable
platform for near cutting edge technology. This then leaves CURRENT with
all the experimental stuff, and bleeding edge technology.

Follow the FreeBSD tree. Whoever wants a stable production system goes for
STABLE, if you want to test new packages, run RELEASE and if you want get
into the bleeding edge, take CURRENT

Just thinking

--
Mike

Of course, you might discount this possibility, but remember that one in a
million chances happen 99% of the time.