[PC-BSD Testing] Rolling release criticism

Claudio L. claudio at hpgcc3.org
Tue Dec 17 11:00:09 PST 2013

On 12/17/2013 10:38, Kris Moore wrote:
> Well, in this case I think Claudio has done plenty to push the project
> along :) He's the author of the fantastic new "ZFS / Disk Manager GUI"
> that has gone in recently.
Thanks, you saved me from replying to that "if you want it fixed, learn
to code" comment, and you did it in a much more polite manner than I was
planning to.
My intent was not to complain, but to start discussing ideas to fix what
I see doesn't work well (at least for me it isn't).

 From all the great comments in this thread, I extracted a few clear things:

1) Some people want stability, some people want bleeding edge even if
they bleed to death. We should find a way to please both types of users.
2) Now that boot environments is included out of the box, adding
automatic snapshots before applying updates is a great idea.

Now a new idea:
The release/stable idea from FreeBSD could be adapted to PCBSD, but not
necessarily with the same meaning. For example, we could have the stable
branch just the same as it is now, with packages as fast as you can.
There could be another branch "release", that perhaps gets packages only
after they've been out for at least 2 months (just throwing a number) on
the stable branch.
The way it seems to work now, you send the package out, then you get an
avalanche of complaints, and you get it fixed in a matter of days  by
pushing a package fix. So what if you let the package "mature" for two
months on "stable" (get all the complaints and fixes in those 2 months),
then the package is moved to the release branch (with any hot fixes
included). That would give you time to correct any wreckage before it
reaches people using the "release" repo.
Will that please both the "bleeding edge" and the "stability first" users?

In my case it will, I don't mind being 2 months behind if that let me
focus on what I'm doing because after all, I'm more of a developer than
a tester. And if I need a specific package updated and can't wait 2
months, I can just get it manually or from ports, then 2 months later
I'll catch up through the normal channels.

Claudio