[PC-BSD Testing] Rolling release criticism

Joe Maloney jpm820 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 07:10:54 PST 2013

There are some great points here.  I remember with the old pkg_add that
for a release by default FreeBSD would only fetch release packages.  I'm
not sure if that is the case know as I think they have weekly updates
with the FreeBSD pkg repo now?

However maybe it would be wise to have build one big RELEASE packageset
at the time of RELEASE and never update it other than critical fixes.
Instead have the user opt in by using the chbranch function to change
the the STABLE release if they want bi-monthly package updates along
with the normal montly world and kernel updates.  I was thinking maybe
this approach might free up some resources by not having to stay on top
of two packagesets as much.

I also agree FreeBSD needs more people running HEAD/CURRENT.  This
benifits the project more than people using the old stuff but it also
turns each user into a beta tester potentially against their will.  By
forcing users to switch to at least the STABLE branch to get new
packages it would force them to test the montly updates to world and
kernel as well.

Joe Maloney