[PC-BSD Testing] Rolling release criticism

Claudio L. claudio at hpgcc3.org
Tue Dec 17 05:12:38 PST 2013

On 12/17/2013 06:13, Sam Fourman Jr. wrote:

> The FreeBSD ecosystem needs MORE people running HEAD/CURRENT as well
> as the VERY top of the ports tree, this is how you attract developers
> and power users... and these people are the ones that will help
> improve FreeBSD/PC-BSD for the general population.

Precisely, but the only way you get more people to use it, is if it
actually works. What I mean is the basic system should always work. Then
you can test individual features that you **want** to install and test,
but you probably shouldn't be testing all at the same time and without
your consent:
* The package manager
* Hardware drivers
* Basic web browsers
* Basic services like Virtualbox

These are basic things that should always work fine, then I agree with
the testing of individual features.

Imagine you are trying to test a new feature in 10.0, but you can't
because you are wasting time fixing your browser, your packages, etc.
You should have everything else working and out of your way so you can
focus on testing PCI-PASS THROUGH on bhyve, not more, not less.
If things break too much, you'll alienate users and they will leave to
other more stable OSes.

For example, we could have other packages updated fast, but the package
manager only changed once or twice a year, for example. Just to make
sure it works, and when the update gets pushed, it HAS to work for
everybody.

Claudio