[PC-BSD Testing] Rolling release criticism

Sam Fourman Jr. sfourman at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 03:13:11 PST 2013

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 1:35 AM, Rodney Lewis <rodney.lewis at tortoiseblog.com
> wrote:

>  I agree the rolling release maybe a bit to adventurous for my tastes
> because of the increase in problems.
>  To mitigate this I use zfs and create a new boot environment or snapshot
> before applying any updates or apps. This has saved me many times.
>  I would like this to be automatically done when installing updates or
> apps/pbis as part of the update process. Maybe installing patches in to the
> boot environment so only a reboot is required also.

I agree that the rolling release is better, I think the updates should
increase to as fast as possible, and we simply use snapshots and/or boot
environments and/or bhyve in a creative ways to inject stability for
average users.

The FreeBSD ecosystem needs MORE people running HEAD/CURRENT as well as the
VERY top of the ports tree, this is how you attract developers and power
users... and these people are the ones that will help improve
FreeBSD/PC-BSD for the general population.

I am primarily a FreeBSD user, I am using PC-BSD more and more, but part of
how I contribute to FreeBSD, is I am always testing out of tree patches Eg,
newcons or AMD bhyve, ATI.KMS stuff.
In order for people like me as well as developers, we need a easy to use
system that can be installed quickly and is on the bleeding edge.

I envision a day, when PC-BSD will have daily snapshots of CURRENT, and
PBI's mirror almost every port in the FreeBSD ports tree, and are never
more than a day or two old.
soon behyve, will come of age, it has things like PCI-PASS THROUGH, if we
get creative a behyve can be updated and tested in near real time without
the need to even reboot the running system.
I would even like to see PC-BSD become more of a port in the FreeBSD ports
tree, so converting a FreeBSD system into a PC-BSD system is as simple as
running a postmaster command and rebooting.

part of the power of PC-BSD is that it's NOT a fork of FreeBSD, we should
strive for a faster updating system that stays true FreeBSD under the hood.

Things are frustrating for sure, but as a community we should keep a eye on
the future, because FreeBSD /PC-BSD has a bright future.