[PC-BSD Testing] Mount tray detects SCSI disks as USB devices

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Wed Aug 28 05:53:53 PDT 2013

On 08/27/2013 14:13, Ken Moore wrote:
> On 08/27/2013 10:39, Ken Moore wrote:
>> On 08/27/2013 07:32, Claudio L. wrote:

>>> I recently swapped the cables and got confused when writing the
>>> post, so my root ZFS drive is actually da2, not da1 (sorry, my
>>> mistake), and da2 is not shown, so the paragraph above should've said:
>>>
>>> da1 is listed as USB Device (even though it shouldn't be listed).
>>> da1s1 is correctly listed under its Windows label.
>>>
>>> da2 is not shown at all (which is correct).
>>>

>>> Claudio
>>
>> That is good to hear, at least the current OS pruning is working
>> properly.. :-)
>>
>> If I recall correctly, if a parent device (da1) has children (da1s1)
>> the algorithm will only list the parent of it satisfies a stricter
>> set of criteria (seeing if it has additional available space/
>> filesystems). I will check on that though and make sure. I will
>> probably just need to tighten up the restrictions on parent devices
>> even further.
>>
> I just fixed the issue with parent/child devices, it looks like there
> was a typo (or a later change to one of the subfunctions) that was
> only looking for 2+ children to ignore the parent instead of any
> children.

After some addition back-and-forth between me and claudio off-list, the
USB/SCSI distinction should now be fixed in the mount tray source. This
has also resulted in a better default naming convention for USB/SCSI
devices (based on the hardware identification/vendor) than the previous
"USB-Device" name.

--
~~ Ken Moore ~~
PC-BSD/iXsystems