[PC-BSD Testing] Mount tray detects SCSI disks as USB devices

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Mon Aug 26 08:07:37 PDT 2013

On 08/25/2013 12:46, Claudio L. wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a Dell SAS hardware raid card on my workstation with 3 hard
> drives:
>
> da0, with 3 NTFS partitions da0s1, da0s2 and da0s3.
> da1, with one single FreeBSD partition
> da2 with an NTFS partition
>
> Mount tray is listing my drives in a very weird way:
>
> da0s1 is correctly listed under its Windows label
> da0s2 is listed as "USB Device" (doesn't have a Windows label)
> da0s3 is correctly listed under its Windows label
>
> da1 is listed as a "USB Device", and then it fails to mount (tries to
> mount with mount_msdosfs). This is particularly weird, since da0 is
> not shown, only its slices, but da1 shows as a separate disk.
> da1s1 is also listed as "USB Device" (even though it's my root ZFS
> disk already mounted).
>
> da2 is correctly listed under its Windows label
>
> It seems to me something is wrong with the USB subsystem and it is
> overlapping the drive names between the SCSI emulated USB drives, and
> my real SCSI drives.
> On VirtualBox, even using a SCSI controller, no disks are shown on the
> mount tray.
> This is consistent and happens with a fresh install plus latest
> patches of the 9.1 rolling release series.
>
> Also, I'm using XFCE, and it properly recognizes the drives and shows
> icons on the desktop (better than the mount tray). But if manually
> mounting my da2 drive from the desktop or Thunar file manager, only
> half of the folders on the disk show up (I unmount quickly without
> doing anything to avoid data corruption). If I mount from the mount
> tray, the files appear correctly. I think XFCE is using mount_ntfs vs
> ntfs-3g in the mount tray?
>
> Claudio

I see a couple things here:
1) The Mount tray assumes that any da* device is a USB device for naming
purposes.

I was unaware that the SCSI devices also show up as "da*" devices (it
seemed to only be USB devices), so I hard-coded that a da* device it
listed as a USB device for default naming purposes and icons. I will
need to add detection of the device type into the mount tray as well,
and for that I am going to need the output of "file -s /dev/da0s2".

2) Both da1 and da1s1 are shown in the mount tray, when neither should
be shown due to them being the currently running OS.

Would you mind sending me the output of "file -s /dev/da1" and "file -s
/dev/da1s1" as well? I already have a check in place to not show the
currently running OS, but I need to figure out what is special about
your system that let's it get around the filtering algorithm.

Thanks!

FYI: The inconsistency between the DE mounting procedure and the current
FreeBSD methods is what caused me to create the mount tray in the first
place... :-)

--
~~ Ken Moore ~~
PC-BSD/iXsystems