[PC-BSD Testing] ZFS send/recv and Warden

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Fri Aug 23 10:25:16 PDT 2013

On 08/23/2013 13:15, Francis Ridder wrote:

> What I would really love to be able to do is, using zfs snapshots +
> send/recv migrate a jail on one machine to another. Creating the
> export seems faster than the bsdtar method currently and could enable
> things like incremental syncs between machines and would allow exports
> of a running jail. Does anyone have an examples of doing this?

We are putting the finishing touches on the new "Life-Preserver" CLI &
GUI utility which will handle most of this automatically. It'll let you
snapshot / replicate the entire OS, not just jails. And should your
system die a horrible flaming death, no big deal. You can throw our
install DVD into a fresh box, and restore the entire OS back from the
replicated data :)

It should be available in the next set of images we roll, for 9.2-RC2 in
a week or so.

As for specific jail exports via ZFS, that may happen down the road as
well, time permitting. If you want to take a look at how the backend
works, you can right here:

https://github.com/pcbsd/pcbsd/tree/master/src-sh/lpreserver

If you come up with some ideas / scripts, let us know and maybe we can
patch it into the warden.