[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD -STABLE (9.2-BETA2) Images available

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Mon Aug 19 07:04:39 PDT 2013

On 08/19/2013 02:53, Lars Engels wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 04:24:04PM +0200, Lars Engels wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 10:55:22AM -0400, Kris Moore wrote:
>>> The latest PC-BSD 9-STABLE (Based upon FreeBSD 9.2-BETA2) images are
>>> now online! These images contain a number of bug fixes to the PC-BSD
>>> tool-chain, along with a number of improvements to installation. We
>>> will begin rolling 9.2-RELEASE images shortly, so please report any
>>> bugs / issues found in this most recent -STABLE.
>>> Download it now
>> So I did and here are my findings / suggestions:
>> - When a different language than English is selected, the change is not
>>   made in GDM, so I had to change the language and keyboard settings
>>   there again. It might also be useful if the language settings were
>>   also set automatically in the first run wizard.
I'll have to check into this. Last time I messed with it, it was very
troublesome trying to set gconf settings manually :P

>> - In the first run wizard when you create a user the order of the fields
>>   is "Full Name" "Username". In the PC-BSD User Manager it's the other
>>   way around.

>> - In KDE, the icons for the AppCafe and PC-BSD System Settings have the
>>   red bubble with the exclamation mark on them. That was already fixed
>>   some time ago, but it's back again.

>> - IMHO when you click the "Install Now!" button in AppCafe there should
>>   be a "are you sure?" question before the actual download starts.
Not sure if this is necessary, deferring to Ken on this one.

>> - Downloading System Sources does not work:
>>   When I click the button to download, a new window appears with title
>>   set to "Portsnap progress" text "Downloding FreeBSD sources" and after
>>   one or two seconds "Finished!", but /usr/src is still empty.
on my list

>> - Downloading Ports Tree works, but it does not show any progress during
>>   the download. Would that be possible to implement?
Not sure if we get feedback from "portsnap" which would allow a
reasonable / sane progress bar.
>> - pc-grubcfg does not start:
>>   GLib (gthread-posix.c): Unexpected error from C library druing
>>   'pthread_mutex_lock': Operation not permitted. Aborting.
>>   Abort trap
You mean "pc-bootconfig"? It seems to be fixed on the newer images.

>> - In the warden config, shouldn't the temp dir point to /tmp or /var/tmp
>>   by default instead of /usr/jails?
Possibly, I'll have to check into this.
>> - Installing a Debian Linux Jail with the warden does not work: the
>>   download script exits because iso.cdn.pcbsd.org cannot be resolved.
I have some updated scripts for this, will be adding soon.

>> - Though I set the Warden temp dir to /tmp, aria tries to download to
>>   /usr/jails/.download/base.txz
Same as above :)

>> I think that's it for now, apart from the things I listed, it's a very
>> nice installation. :-)
>> The installation itself went smoothly
> Any feedback on this?

- --