[PC-BSD Testing] AppCafe - wrong behaviour on PBI application launch

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Wed Aug 14 05:10:24 PDT 2013

On 08/13/2013 14:09, Kris Moore wrote:
> On 08/13/2013 06:43, Yuri Momotiuk wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> When I try to launch installed PBI application from AppCafe it runs
>> Kate (in KDE) with application .desktop file opened.
>>
>> I have tried to quick fix that, but using xdg-open utility
>> (mainUI.cpp:450) looks just like in pc-controlpanel (where it is
>> working good). Maybe I miss something.
>>
>> BTW, maybe using QDesktopServices class would be better? Or xdg-open
>> has custom settings incompatible with QDesktopServices::openUrl?
>>
>> --
>> Best regards, Yuri Momotyuk

> I'm not sure what the problem is here. Is the AppCafe using xdg-open
> as well? Typically I thought that was a better method of opening
> files, since it should be able to work with GTK DE's in addition to QT.
>
> --
> Kris Moore
> PC-BSD Software
> iXsystems

Yeah, the new AppCafe service is using "xdg-open *.desktop" to start up
the application. It is my understanding that the QDesktopServices pretty
much does the exact same thing, but in a cross-compatible way for
Windows/Mac functionality.

I think the problem is that KDE has setup Kate as the default
application for *.desktop files? Or is there some special difference in
the *.desktop files from the PBI and the Control Panel?

--
~~ Ken Moore ~~
PC-BSD/iXsystems