[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD -STABLE (9.2-BETA2) Images available

Lars Engels lars.engels at 0x20.net
Sat Aug 10 07:24:04 PDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 10:55:22AM -0400, Kris Moore wrote:

> The latest PC-BSD 9-STABLE (Based upon FreeBSD 9.2-BETA2) images are
> now online! These images contain a number of bug fixes to the PC-BSD
> tool-chain, along with a number of improvements to installation. We
> will begin rolling 9.2-RELEASE images shortly, so please report any
> bugs / issues found in this most recent -STABLE.
>

> Download it now

So I did and here are my findings / suggestions:

- When a different language than English is selected, the change is not
  made in GDM, so I had to change the language and keyboard settings
  there again. It might also be useful if the language settings were
  also set automatically in the first run wizard.

- In the first run wizard when you create a user the order of the fields
  is "Full Name" "Username". In the PC-BSD User Manager it's the other
  way around.

- In KDE, the icons for the AppCafe and PC-BSD System Settings have the
  red bubble with the exclamation mark on them. That was already fixed
  some time ago, but it's back again.

- IMHO when you click the "Install Now!" button in AppCafe there should
  be a "are you sure?" question before the actual download starts.

- Downloading System Sources does not work:
  When I click the button to download, a new window appears with title
  set to "Portsnap progress" text "Downloding FreeBSD sources" and after
  one or two seconds "Finished!", but /usr/src is still empty.

- Downloading Ports Tree works, but it does not show any progress during
  the download. Would that be possible to implement?

- pc-grubcfg does not start:
  GLib (gthread-posix.c): Unexpected error from C library druing
  'pthread_mutex_lock': Operation not permitted. Aborting.
  Abort trap

- In the warden config, shouldn't the temp dir point to /tmp or /var/tmp
  by default instead of /usr/jails?

- Installing a Debian Linux Jail with the warden does not work: the
  download script exits because iso.cdn.pcbsd.org cannot be resolved.

- Though I set the Warden temp dir to /tmp, aria tries to download to
  /usr/jails/.download/base.txz

I think that's it for now, apart from the things I listed, it's a very
nice installation. :-)

The installation itself went smoothly