[PC-BSD Testing] 9.2 beta images, disk vendor names are cut off..

Sam Fourman Jr. sfourman at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 11:14:45 PDT 2013

>> So, the way it gets the order is from "sysctl -n kern.disks | sort". I'm
>> not seeing an obvious way to re-sort that on the command-line. Maybe
>> this is something you can help me with, is there some sort of "sort"
>> magic you can do to reorder these on your system in a meaningful way?
>>

> let me play with it a bit... here is my output for reference...
>
> root at Ziggy:~ # sysctl -n kern.disks | sort
> da21 ada1 ada0 da20 da19 da18 da17 da16 da15 da14 da13 da12 da11 da10
> da9 da8 da7 da6 da5 da4 da3 da2 da1 da0

Kris,

so awhile back, I wrote a hack script to install ZFS root systems...
I'm trying to convert to TrueOS

Here take a look at this incantation........ it is a snippet from the
internal shell script I wrote awhile back...
it works for me, because it separated the adaX's from the daX's, then
sorted them by the actual number

below is my output

 # cat /var/run/dmesg.boot | grep 'MB (' | awk -F':' '{print $1}' |
sort -k2 -t'a' -n | tr '\n' ' '
ada0 ada1 da0 da1 da2 da3 da4 da5 da6 da7 da8 da9 da10 da11 da12 da13
da14 da15 da16 da17 da18 da19 da20 da21

if you want to test and "play" with it.. and don't have access to a
box with that many disks on separate controllers (adaX and daX)
message me privately and ill give you root ssh...
--

Sam Fourman Jr.