[PC-BSD Testing] grub boot loader & kernel modules

Julian Elischer julian at freebsd.org
Thu Aug 8 12:47:26 PDT 2013

On 8/7/13 4:32 PM, Ilya Bakulin wrote:
> On 2013-08-07 05:55, Julian Elischer wrote:
>>  unfortunately you've probably lost me as a user due to this
>> departure from what freeBSD does.
>>  I really need a FreeBSD system that happens to have good laptop and
>> desktop support, not some random other thing.
>>

> What do you call a "departure"? Using another boot loader to
> accomplish nessesary functionality?
> Sorry, I really cannot understand this.
>
> The FreeBSD Project makes a wonderful operating system, but please
> bear in mind, that this OS has only
> those features that are needed by the developers of the FreeBSD
> Project.
> Sometimes it can happen that someone is building a FreeBSD-based
> product and suddenly discovers
> that some features are not (yet) available. What is he supposed to do?
> There are several possible choices.
>
> 1. Say "oh, FreeBSD is crap because it doesn't have feature X, I'm
> going to use $another_os".
> This kind of feedback is not interesting to the project, I think.
>
> 2. Write the code yourself, spend time to commit it, do not release
> your product until the feature is in the upstream.
> Nice, but can delay the product appearance significantly, maybe your
> product won't get to its customer because the customer
> was not patient enough and uses another product based on $another_os
> now.

funny you should mention that.. I DID write the original first and
second stage boot loaders.
(well  largely.. I cribbed some code from several places)

> 3. Implement the needed functionality using other methods, release
> the product, give the feedback to upstream about missing features.
> This is what PC-BSD has done. Instead of delaying the appearance of
> the new PC-BSD version with some wonderful new features,
> PC-BSD developers have released it, replacing only the boot loader,
> and wrote what they need from upstream to implement those features
> using only FreeBSD components. This helps spreading PC-BSD and
> increases user base, eventually more people will use PC-BSD and
> FreeBSD,
> then someone will implement missing bits in FreeBSD loader and
> everyone will be happy.
I use FreeBSD machines all the time and want the same system
everywhere, not this here and that there.  Anyhow yes I do contribute..

> What you do is refusing to use PC-BSD because of boot loader,
> although this is still the same FreeBSD system fine-tuned for
> desktop usage.
> I don't understand it. Maybe I don't see some obvious things, sorry.
I want the same system I test in various places to be the same. Now I
have to have a completely different setup on my laptop?