[PC-BSD Testing] grub boot loader & kernel modules

Claudio L. claudio at hpgcc3.org
Wed Aug 7 17:18:22 PDT 2013

On 08/07/2013 09:31, Kris Moore wrote:
> This is exactly how I feel.

Change will always cause resistance. I worked on the FreeBSD loader
recently, and the internals are not exactly elegant. Replacing it is a
step in the right direction, even if it meant throwing to the garbage a
lot of hours of my work.

I don't understand the complaints, things are now faster, more powerful
and it even looks more professional than the basic boot loader.
Can somebody really defend the 'beastie.4th' menu?

I can see that making changes to loader.conf now requires an extra step
and that can alienate some users, but it's not like you change your
loader.conf everyday.

I think PCBSD has to aim to be modern and useful, and if you need to
"drop some legacy baggage" on the way to achieve that, so be it.

Just a thought.
Claudio