[PC-BSD Testing] grub boot loader & kernel modules

Ilya Bakulin ilya at bakulin.de
Wed Aug 7 01:32:29 PDT 2013

On 2013-08-07 05:55, Julian Elischer wrote:
>  unfortunately you've probably lost me as a user due to this
> departure from what freeBSD does.
>  I really need a FreeBSD system that happens to have good laptop and
> desktop support, not some random other thing.

What do you call a "departure"? Using another boot loader to accomplish
nessesary functionality?
Sorry, I really cannot understand this.

The FreeBSD Project makes a wonderful operating system, but please bear
in mind, that this OS has only
those features that are needed by the developers of the FreeBSD
Project.
Sometimes it can happen that someone is building a FreeBSD-based
product and suddenly discovers
that some features are not (yet) available. What is he supposed to do?
There are several possible choices.

1. Say "oh, FreeBSD is crap because it doesn't have feature X, I'm
going to use $another_os".
This kind of feedback is not interesting to the project, I think.

2. Write the code yourself, spend time to commit it, do not release
your product until the feature is in the upstream.
Nice, but can delay the product appearance significantly, maybe your
product won't get to its customer because the customer
was not patient enough and uses another product based on $another_os
now.

3. Implement the needed functionality using other methods, release the
product, give the feedback to upstream about missing features.
This is what PC-BSD has done. Instead of delaying the appearance of the
new PC-BSD version with some wonderful new features,
PC-BSD developers have released it, replacing only the boot loader, and
wrote what they need from upstream to implement those features
using only FreeBSD components. This helps spreading PC-BSD and
increases user base, eventually more people will use PC-BSD and FreeBSD,
then someone will implement missing bits in FreeBSD loader and everyone
will be happy.

What you do is refusing to use PC-BSD because of boot loader, although
this is still the same FreeBSD system fine-tuned for desktop usage.
I don't understand it. Maybe I don't see some obvious things, sorry.

--
Ilya