[PC-BSD Testing] Missed CDN Switch: Updates no longer possible?

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Mon Aug 5 08:48:14 PDT 2013

On 08/05/2013 05:12, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> I am watching this thread, hoping that it applies to my system as
> well, a non-rolling release, but alas!

You can update from non-RR to the RR, but we don't "officially" support
it, due to changes in how we boot, ZFS layout, etc. If you want to do it
manually, you will first need to upgrade to the latest package set the
same way we do on a vanilla FreeBSD system:
http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/Turn_FreeBSD_into_PC-BSD%C2%AE

After doing all the pkgng updates, you'll need to grab our
freebsd-update.conf:

# fetch -o /etc/freebsd-update.conf
https://github.com/trueos/trueos/raw/pcbsd-9-stable/etc/freebsd-update.conf

After grabbing this, go ahead and run "freebsd-update fetch" and then
"freebsd-update install" to grab the latest world + kernel.

Now you should be on a RR release! Because you didn't re-install you
will not have all the boot-environment goodies, but you will grab the
latest packages / utils the same way a RR does.