[PC-BSD Testing] can't boot after updates

Mike Barnard mike.barnardq at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 00:46:48 PDT 2013

On 31 July 2013 16:24, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:

> On 07/31/2013 06:56, Lars Engels wrote:

> >> It turns out that more than just sh is missing. A quick check shows that
> >> these files are missing from the /bin directory
> >>
> >> chio
> >> cmp
> >> cp
> >> csh
> >> cut
> >> df
> >> du
> >> ed
> >> ls
> >> pax
> >> ps
> >> rcp
> >> red
> >> rmail
> >> sh
> >> sleep
> >> tcsh
> >>
> >> I restored these by booting from the installation media, Choose option
> >> boot into Emergency Console. After it brings the PCBSD Utility screen ->
> >> Utilities -> Shell
> >>
> >> I plugged in my portable disk and mounted it on /mnt and copied the
> files
> >> in /bin over to my portable disk. I rebooted my PCBSD installation,
> chose
> >> single usermode, entered /usr/local/bin/bash for my shell (since sh was
> not
> >> possible)
> >>
> >> I remounted / as read write (mount -o rw tank0/ROOT/default /) and first
> >> moved cp over to /bin, then used cp -i to not overwrite existing files.
> >>
> >> At least I can now log into my PC. Will attempt this update again and
> post
> >> if anything goes wrong.
> >>
> >> PS: While booting, I get a screen that shows me
> >>
> >> geom_journal.ko missing
> >> geom_mirror.ko missing
> >> geom_eli.ko missing
> >
> > In such cases it's very good to know that there are statically compiled
> > binaries of the most useful programs to rescue a system in /rescue.
> > For example there's /rescue/sh, /rescue/zfs, /rescue/zpool,
> > /rescue/kldload, etc...

> Thanks for the report! I'm checking into this now. Did you run into this
> on the desktop or server install? I.E. did you update through the GUI?
>
> At first glance it looks like its an issue with multiple freebsd-update
> commands running at the same time, cause some sort of conflict with the
> data to be installed. I'm going to address this shortly.

That was going to be my next email. The fact that the GUI shows me the
updates and when I click on "Install Updates", it goes back to checking for
updates and does not actually do the update. So I stopped it, and ran
freebsd-update fetch and freebsd-update install and ended up with this
botched upgrade. After restoring the files, I was able to run this from
command line again with no issues. The GUI just brings me the updates
available and no updates are installed. I wonder why...

This is being run from my laptop.

--
Mike

Of course, you might discount this possibility, but remember that one in a
million chances happen 99% of the time.