[PC-BSD Testing] can't boot after updates

Mike Barnard mike.barnardq at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 00:30:47 PDT 2013

On 31 July 2013 13:56, Lars Engels <lars.engels at 0x20.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 01:15:25PM +0300, Mike Barnard wrote:
> > On 31 July 2013 11:47, Mike Barnard <mike.barnardq at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > hi,
> > >
> > > I updated my pcbsd this morning, GMT+3, and rebooted.
> > >
> > > I cannot seem to get past single user mode, it ends up complaining
> > > about not being able to find /bin/sh.
> >

> > It turns out that more than just sh is missing. A quick check shows that
> > these files are missing from the /bin directory
> >
> > chio
> > cmp
> > cp
> > csh
> > cut
> > df
> > du
> > ed
> > ls
> > pax
> > ps
> > rcp
> > red
> > rmail
> > sh
> > sleep
> > tcsh
> >
> > I restored these by booting from the installation media, Choose option 5
> > boot into Emergency Console. After it brings the PCBSD Utility screen ->
> > Utilities -> Shell
> >
> > I plugged in my portable disk and mounted it on /mnt and copied the files
> > in /bin over to my portable disk. I rebooted my PCBSD installation, chose
> > single usermode, entered /usr/local/bin/bash for my shell (since sh was
> not
> > possible)
> >
> > I remounted / as read write (mount -o rw tank0/ROOT/default /) and first
> > moved cp over to /bin, then used cp -i to not overwrite existing files.
> >
> > At least I can now log into my PC. Will attempt this update again and
> post
> > if anything goes wrong.
> >
> > PS: While booting, I get a screen that shows me
> >
> > geom_journal.ko missing
> > geom_mirror.ko missing
> > geom_eli.ko missing
>
> In such cases it's very good to know that there are statically compiled
> binaries of the most useful programs to rescue a system in /rescue.
> For example there's /rescue/sh, /rescue/zfs, /rescue/zpool,
> /rescue/kldload, etc...

Would you imagine that... and yet I went through a longer path of getting
them from my installation thumb drive. It seems to have panned out well. I
restored the files and redid the upgrade and all is well... a few more
glitches that I need to post about, but first I need to ensure I can
replicate them.

--
Mike

Of course, you might discount this possibility, but remember that one in a
million chances happen 99% of the time.