[PC-BSD Testing] Proposal: Improve PBI/PC-BSD version management

Stephan Lichtenauer sl-pub-lists at honeyguide.de
Thu Apr 4 00:12:03 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I would like to suggest that PBI files can only be installed/updated on
PC-BSD versions that definitely are supported by the PBI application.

Background: Over the last week, I had updated Firefox and Thunderbird as
suggested by AppCafe on my PC-BSD 9.0 system. Afterwards, both
applications refused to start because of an unresolved symbol (I don't
remember exactly what it was). After a quick google, I found out that
this is a well-known problem of some ports on FreeBSD 9.0 and it is
solved with an update to FreeBSD 9.1, so I updated to PC-BSD 9.1 and
both applications worked again.

So far so good, of course it is perfectly fine that ports (and thus
PBIs) at some point require a new operating system version.

Nonetheless it would be very helpful - especially with the rolling
upgrades, I assume this problem will happen even more frequently - that
AppCafe has some checks for PBIs:
1. If the PBI or PBI update is to be installed on an older PC-BSD or
FreeBSD version where they have not been tested, I would suggest
AppCafe/pbi_update etc. should at least show a warning message so the
user knows about the risk
2. If the (new) PBI version is known not to work, it should not be
offered for installation/update at all (very much like in Google's Play
Store for example).

I am not sure about the process of storing the required information in
the PBI, but I assume automatically using the PC-BSD/FreeBSD version of
the build system is already a beginning - it could then manually be
overwritten by somebody if she/he takes the time to test it on some
additional OS versions.

That way, especially when updating, somebody can decide to continue
using the old version at least - because if the update is installed, the
way back to a running PBI version is not easy.

What do you think?

Best regards

Stephan