[PC-BSD Testing] ThinkPad T420 Video setup

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Sep 19 06:22:22 PDT 2012

On 09/19/2012 05:22, Sam Fourman Jr. wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 11:11 AM, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:
>> On 09/17/2012 18:10, Michael Dexter wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I am trying 9.1RC1 on a ThinkPad T420 in default auto-switching
>>> Nvidia/Intel mode and I find that it restarts when it checks upon
>>> installation. Assuming this is a close relative to the well-supported
>>> T520, does anyone have advice for installing PC-BSD on this model?
>>>
>>> VESA mode at boot does the same.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Michael
>> The X -configure command is causing it to go haywire. Do you have an
>> option to select a single GPU in the BIOS? That makes it work on my T520.
>
> I  have a a Nvidia Optimus laptop, that has no option to disable in
> bios... I got the installer to work by putting the 9.1 RC1 USB stick
> in another FreeBSD system, and removing the kldload nvidia line from
> the startup script.
>
> this allows setup to work perfectly on the optimus laptop... is there
> a way to have the startup script do something like...
>
> if 2 video cards exist don't use the nvidia one?
>
> this would fix the majority of optimus users and allow them to run
> PC-BSD.. then for the users that have the option in bios, they can
> just re run display wizard to use the nvidia card if they choose.
>
> Sam Fourman Jr.

I may be able to make it better detect Optimus and then not load the
nvidia driver. Can you send me the pciconf -lv and dmesg from the
system? Also, I heard that nvidia is working on Optimus support for
their driver, so eventually we should be able to just let it load the
driver again and have it work :)