[PC-BSD Testing] ThinkPad T420 Video setup

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Sep 19 06:19:54 PDT 2012

On 09/18/2012 19:12, Michael Dexter wrote:
> On 9/18/12 8:11 AM, Kris Moore wrote:
>> The X -configure command is causing it to go haywire. Do you have an
>> option to select a single GPU in the BIOS? That makes it work on my
>> T520.
>
> Here's what I found:
>
> Choosing "discrete" (NVidia) in BIOS will allow it the installer and
> installed OS to work. Suspend and resume even worked!
>
> Unfortunately, this choice is often lost at reboot. I believe an OS
> can make the choice but I have no idea what would be required to
> implement that.

Not sure why the BIOS wont save your choice, it saves it here in mine :)

> Somewhat related, I am not sure what type of trackpad the T420 has but
> the ksynaptics package did not appear in the control panel. Two
> fingered scrolling would be very nice to have. Are there any packages
> I should try?

We include the xf86-input-synaptics-1.5.0 out of box, but the ksynaptics
package is very out of date, for KDE3 and probably doesn't even work
anymore. There is x11/gsynaptics/ in ports, but I don't know how well it
works. You want to give it a shot and let us know?