[PC-BSD Testing] ThinkPad T420 Video setup

Sam Fourman Jr. sfourman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 02:22:17 PDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 11:11 AM, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:
> On 09/17/2012 18:10, Michael Dexter wrote:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I am trying 9.1RC1 on a ThinkPad T420 in default auto-switching
>> Nvidia/Intel mode and I find that it restarts when it checks upon
>> installation. Assuming this is a close relative to the well-supported
>> T520, does anyone have advice for installing PC-BSD on this model?
>>
>> VESA mode at boot does the same.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Michael
>
> The X -configure command is causing it to go haywire. Do you have an
> option to select a single GPU in the BIOS? That makes it work on my T520.

I  have a a Nvidia Optimus laptop, that has no option to disable in
bios... I got the installer to work by putting the 9.1 RC1 USB stick
in another FreeBSD system, and removing the kldload nvidia line from
the startup script.

this allows setup to work perfectly on the optimus laptop... is there
a way to have the startup script do something like...

if 2 video cards exist don't use the nvidia one?

this would fix the majority of optimus users and allow them to run
PC-BSD.. then for the users that have the option in bios, they can
just re run display wizard to use the nvidia card if they choose.

Sam Fourman Jr.