[PC-BSD Testing] bugs in 9.1 RC1

Lars Engels lars.engels at 0x20.net
Mon Sep 10 09:32:30 PDT 2012

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 02:41:34PM +0200, Gökhan Kocak wrote:
> Hello Devs!
>
> I tested the RC1 on an Esprimo 2550 (specs:
> http://remarketing.ts.fujitsu.com/shop/images/datenblatt/db_esprimo_p2550_de.pdf).
> Mainly because the usual Linux wouldn??t run due to a bug in the
> kernel. It has something to do with the nforce mainboard.
>
> Anyway I was happy to see PC-BSD boot without problems into the
> installer. Here I encountered three problems:
>
> 1) Chosing ???German??? as the installer language didn??t quite work: The
> installation proceeded in English, only to be restarted afterwards in
> German (which I aborted as I had a successful install in English).
>
> 2) With the checkbox for ???format drives with GParted??? in the advanced
> settings nothing happened. As far as I can estimate GParted was not
> started. I??ve used this tool before, so I??m not a total noob.

It's not GParted, but FreeBSD's gpart, something very different:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?gpart

> 3) The installer does not recognize any other OS??s (like Windows) and
> does not offer a side-by-side-install. Is this on purpose?
>
> Afterwards I booted into KDE. Here I could not set up wireless. I
> entered the necessary WPA2 password, but I got no feedback. No ???wrong
> password??? when I intentionally typed wrong, and no
> ???successfull/unseccessfull connection??? type message. This left me
> frustrated and ended my time with the 9.1 RC.

Was /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf created successfully? Didn't it also not
work after a reboot?
What wireless chipset do you have? Does "dmesg" show anything useful
about your wireless problems? Or do you see wpa_supplicant messages in
/var/log/messages?

> Out of curiousity: why don??t You implement the standard KDE
> connectivity tool? It worked well for me under numerous Linux(es/i?).

That's because Linux uses network-manager which doesn't work on the
BSDs.