[PC-BSD Testing] Intel Graphics HD2500 xorg problems

Arthur A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Wed Sep 5 09:52:52 PDT 2012

On 09/04/2012 8:39 PM, Blitzkev wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was told to use this mailing list by the guys in the irc channel.
> I'm running into some issues that are detailed in this forum post
> http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?t=17749
>
> My system specs are as follows
> i5-3450 (HD 2500)
> <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116506>
> Samsung 830 SSD
> ASUS P8H77
> <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131841>
> 16GB DDR3-1600
>
> I'm using 9.1RC1 and the install works flawlessly, upon first reboot I
> get the chance to confirm that I would like to use intel drivers and
> use a 1920x1200 resolution, after hitting accept my monitor loses
> input however and I don't seem to be able to do anything from that
> point onward. More details, as well as xorg logs, are in the forum post.
>
> I'm using 9.1 because 9.0 doesn't have drivers for the onboard NIC.
>
> Doing kldload i915kms blanks the screen, I can then type startx
> blindly and it pops up what might be basic xorg but it gets stuck there.
>
> I'm out of ideas, any advice on where I should go form here?
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin

The Intel drivers have always been wonky at best. Unless you're on
NVidia hardware, I wouldn't hold my breath. Some progress has been made
but the KMS, LibDRM and Xorg work that's gone into 9.1 and the *slight*
update to the Intel driver has not yet caught up to where Linux-land is.
It will be a long time still before Ivy Bridge/Sandy Bridge-era stuff is
supported. We could all hope that things stabilize more in RC2 but I
would surmise that BSD 10 is where you'll likely see that working well
enough to use.

Arthur