[PC-BSD Testing] Question

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Tue Sep 4 08:47:35 PDT 2012

On 09/02/2012 23:16, Hans Ruhe wrote:
> Hi Arthur,
> Thank you for your explanation. I was not being a critic, but just
> wonder how things go. Kris can you explain a bit ?
>
>  Best regards,
> Hans
>
> 2012/9/3 Arthur <A-Koziol at neiu.edu <mailto:A-Koziol at neiu.edu>>
>
>     On 09/02/2012 5:24 PM, Hans Ruhe wrote:
>
>         Hi Kris and team,
>
>         I have a question. Perhaps a dumb one. Why is it that when you
>         build an improved version, that things that did work in the
>         9.0 version, are not working in the 9.1 version anymore ? In
>         my opinion when you make a new version, you take the things
>         that is working good, remove the bad stuff and build new stuff
>         that is interesting or helpful.
>
>         But I am not a developer, so perhaps I am all wrong.
>
>         Best regards,
>
>         Hans
>

>     Hans,
>
>     <2cents>
>     While I don't speak for Kris, you have to understand that a lot of
>     what changes is from the FreeBSD developers, not so much what Kris
>     does. Kris takes vanilla BSD and makes it hop, skip and jump.
>     Sometimes things get deprecated or break between BSD versions.The
>     KMS stuff is a good example. I think there's a lot of ambitious
>     stuff that went into BSD 9.1 and it's acting a bit clunky right
>     now. Some stuff hasn't quite caught up. There's still one more BSD
>     RC to go and then hopefully some of the ports that might be
>     causing some errors or issues will get a bump before it gets
>     released. Remember, BSD is not Linux.
>     </2cents>
>
>     Arthur

Arthur is correct in this case. We are at the mercy of what is supported
by FreeBSD via the base-system and ports. So in the case of KMS, a bunch
of new code has gone into FreeBSD which improves intel video, but may
cause regressions elsewhere. We try to do our part by testing and
reporting issues, so if you find regressions in any part of the base
system, then it is good to let the original developers know about it,
either with a FreeBSD PR, or via their mailing lists.