[PC-BSD Testing] Question

Arthur A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Sun Sep 2 17:42:39 PDT 2012

On 09/02/2012 5:24 PM, Hans Ruhe wrote:
> Hi Kris and team,
>
> I have a question. Perhaps a dumb one. Why is it that when you build
> an improved version, that things that did work in the 9.0 version, are
> not working in the 9.1 version anymore ? In my opinion when you make a
> new version, you take the things that is working good, remove the bad
> stuff and build new stuff that is interesting or helpful.
>
> But I am not a developer, so perhaps I am all wrong.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Hans

Hans,

<2cents>
While I don't speak for Kris, you have to understand that a lot of what
changes is from the FreeBSD developers, not so much what Kris does. Kris
takes vanilla BSD and makes it hop, skip and jump. Sometimes things get
deprecated or break between BSD versions.The KMS stuff is a good
example. I think there's a lot of ambitious stuff that went into BSD 9.1
and it's acting a bit clunky right now. Some stuff hasn't quite caught
up. There's still one more BSD RC to go and then hopefully some of the
ports that might be causing some errors or issues will get a bump before
it gets released. Remember, BSD is not Linux.
</2cents>

Arthur