[PC-BSD Testing] Bluetooth is recognised but never works

Bridger Dyson-Smith bdysonsmith at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 16:23:44 PDT 2012

Hi David & Ken --

I used the following page as an additional guideline for the documentation
in the Handbook [1]. My attempt involved two separate Android phones -- a
Motorola Droid X and a Samsung Galaxy Nexus (I can hardly wait to move to
using the Nexus -- soon... :)). Overall, the process was a failure - but
I'm not sure if it's due to a discoverability timeout on the phones, or a
problem with obexapp.

Let me know if I can provide any additional details & I'll pass them along.
Best,
Bridger

I) Turned on Bluetooth (Thinkpad X61, 9.1-RC2 amd64, Broadcom Corp BCM2045B)

> sudo sysctl dev.acpi_ibm.0.bluetooth=1

II) Set both phones to discoverable
III) Ran the following commands:

> hccontrol inquiry
Inquiry result #0
BD_ADDR: 38:0a:94:3c:52:01
Page Scan Rep. Mode: 0x1
Page Scan Period Mode: 00
Page Scan Mode: 00
Class: 5a:02:0c
Clock offset: 0x2912
Inquiry result #0
BD_ADDR: cc:8c:e3:d5:2b:64
Page Scan Rep. Mode: 0x1
Page Scan Period Mode: 00
Page Scan Mode: 00
Class: 5a:02:0c
Clock offset: 0x43d9
> su -
# cd /etc/bluetooth
# vi hcsecd.conf

(added both phones to the file, like so)

device {
 bdaddr  cc:8c:e3:d5:2b:64;
 name    "DROIDX";
 key     nokey;
 pin     1234;
}

device {
 bdaddr  38:0a:94:3c:52:01;
 name "Galaxy Nexus";
 key     nokey;
 pin     1234;
}
[root at rook] /etc/bluetooth# hccontrol write_authentication_enable 1
[root at rook] /etc/bluetooth# hccontrol read_authentication_enable
Authentication Enable: Enabled [1]
[root at rook] /etc/bluetooth# hcsecd

(The linked page didn't mention editing the hosts file, but I did. Maybe
this is the reason the process didn't work for me? Probably not, as hosts
seems to just be a alias list so you don't have to always use the BD_ADDR.
This is what I added to the end of the hosts file...)

# Added following lines, bridger, 2012-10-28
# cc:8c:e3:d5:2b:64 droidx
# 38:0a:94:3c:52:01 galNexus

(I never really had any luck after this -- I couldn't connect to either of
the phones)

obexapp -c -a cc:8c:e3:d5:2b:64 -C ftrn
obexapp: Could not obtain RFCOMM channel: Permission denied

I'll give this another try in the next couple of days & see if I can't get
farther along with it. Again, let me know if I can provide any additional
info.

[1] http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~reinholz/freebsd/bluetooth.html