[PC-BSD Testing] Bluetooth is recognised but never works

David turbolad995 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 26 08:23:46 PDT 2012

On 25/10/12 17:31, Ken Moore wrote:
> On 10/25/2012 08:37, David wrote:

>>> The current version of the Bluetooth manager *ONLY* sets up
>>> pairing/connections between devices, it does not currently
>>> facilitate the activation/usage of other bluetooth services (such as
>>> file sharing, etc...). You will still need to use the command-line
>>> FreeBSD methods for starting/using bluetooth services as necessary
>>> after the pairing is completed via the GUI.
>>>
>>> The link to the relevent section in the FreeBSD handbook is here[1].
>>> You will specifically want to look at the different protocol
>>> sections and how to activate them.
>>>
>>> I will be re-visiting the Bluetooth manager for 9.2 in order to try
>>> and setup some of the services automatically if possible. As I am
>>> not very familiar with using bluetooth services at the moment, so I
>>> would appreciate it if you could send the steps you needed to take
>>> for the appropriate services to access your device(s). This would
>>> greatly speed up the process of creating an automated procedure for
>>> the bluetooth manager to handle.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-bluetooth.html
>>>

>> I have read that page in the FreeBSD handbook and I don't understand
>> which commands to use - the commands are too cryptic for me.  If
>> users want to transfer files from a Bluetooth device, like a mobile
>> phone, to PC-BSD, can it be made to behave in the same way as the
>> "Blueman" app in Ubuntu - that is, send files via Bluetooth to
>> PC-BSD, click on "accept" and the files are transferred immediately?
>
> From reading through the handbook again, it looks like the first thing
> you want to do is browse what services are even available for your
> device using the following command: "sdpcontrol -a <device number>
> browse"
> Scanning through the output should give you some idea of what services
> can even be used. The protocols/services that are specifically
> mentioned are:
>   L2CAP - use the "l2ping" and "l2control" commands to use this service
>   RFCOMM - "emulation of serial ports over the L2CAP protocol" (use
> the "l2control" command?)
>   OPUSH - file transfers between devices. I do not think PC-BSD has
> the comms/obexapp port installed by default, so you may need to add it
> to the base system with "pkg_add -r obexapp". Then you can use the
> "obexapp" command to move files around (looks a bit like the sftp
> usage from the examples).
>   SPP - Serial cable emulation from "rfcomm_sppd" command
>   DUN & PPP - Networking using the "ppp" and "rfcomm_pppd" commands
>
> So it looks like you specifically are interested in using the OPUSH
> protocol to move files around. So I would read mimic the examples in
> that small section (32.4.9) to see if you can get it working. One
> note, this is all does via the terminal, and not as easy as it should
> be. That is why I am going to see if I can automate/simplify this
> [...]
I've tried them commands but I can't understand them and sometimes I get
"command not found".  This is too complicated for me to understand.  I
can't be of any help.  Can anyone else with a bluetooth phone try this
and send files - if you understand what all this means because I'm
totally bamboozled by these cryptic commands!