[PC-BSD Testing] Bluetooth is recognised but never works

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Thu Oct 25 09:31:29 PDT 2012

On 10/25/2012 08:37, David wrote:
> On 24/10/12 14:24, Ken Moore wrote:
>> On 10/24/2012 07:39, David wrote:
>>> I have PC-BSD 9.1-RC2 on my Netbook (Samsung NB30) and although the
>>> Bluetooth is recognised, I can't send files via Bluetooth.  I have
>>> Ubuntu 12.04 on this same netbook and using an app called "Blueman"
>>> (in Ubuntu) I can instantly send files from my mobile phone via
>>> Bluetooth. I simply Bluetooth files to my netbook and "Blueman"
>>> pops-up a confirmation dialogue to accept or cancel. This is very
>>> easy and user-friendly.  I'm hoping this same method could be used
>>> in PC-BSD when transferring files via Bluetooth.  No "pairing" or
>>> having to battle with pin codes.
>>>
>>> I have mentioned this in the PC-BSD forums (my username on there is
>>> also David30) and I've been directed from there to this mailing
>>> list.  It's my first post here and I've never used a mailing list
>>> before, so still got lots to learn.  I'm also a newbie to PC-BSD,
>>> but have plenty of time to beta-test it and help contribute to
>>> making it better in any way I can.

>> The current version of the Bluetooth manager *ONLY* sets up
>> pairing/connections between devices, it does not currently facilitate
>> the activation/usage of other bluetooth services (such as file
>> sharing, etc...). You will still need to use the command-line FreeBSD
>> methods for starting/using bluetooth services as necessary after the
>> pairing is completed via the GUI.
>>
>> The link to the relevent section in the FreeBSD handbook is here[1].
>> You will specifically want to look at the different protocol sections
>> and how to activate them.
>>
>> I will be re-visiting the Bluetooth manager for 9.2 in order to try
>> and setup some of the services automatically if possible. As I am not
>> very familiar with using bluetooth services at the moment, so I would
>> appreciate it if you could send the steps you needed to take for the
>> appropriate services to access your device(s). This would greatly
>> speed up the process of creating an automated procedure for the
>> bluetooth manager to handle.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> [1]
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-bluetooth.html
>>

> I have read that page in the FreeBSD handbook and I don't understand
> which commands to use - the commands are too cryptic for me.  If users
> want to transfer files from a Bluetooth device, like a mobile phone,
> to PC-BSD, can it be made to behave in the same way as the "Blueman"
> app in Ubuntu - that is, send files via Bluetooth to PC-BSD, click on
> "accept" and the files are transferred immediately?

 From reading through the handbook again, it looks like the first thing
you want to do is browse what services are even available for your
device using the following command: "sdpcontrol -a <device number> browse"
Scanning through the output should give you some idea of what services
can even be used. The protocols/services that are specifically mentioned
are:
   L2CAP - use the "l2ping" and "l2control" commands to use this service
   RFCOMM - "emulation of serial ports over the L2CAP protocol" (use the
"l2control" command?)
   OPUSH - file transfers between devices. I do not think PC-BSD has the
comms/obexapp port installed by default, so you may need to add it to
the base system with "pkg_add -r obexapp". Then you can use the
"obexapp" command to move files around (looks a bit like the sftp usage
from the examples).
   SPP - Serial cable emulation from "rfcomm_sppd" command
   DUN & PPP - Networking using the "ppp" and "rfcomm_pppd" commands

So it looks like you specifically are interested in using the OPUSH
protocol to move files around. So I would read mimic the examples in
that small section (32.4.9) to see if you can get it working. One note,
this is all does via the terminal, and not as easy as it should be. That
is why I am going to see if I can automate/simplify this process for
PC-BSD 9.2, so any information you can send me about success/failure and
the steps you took will greatly speed up the process.

Thanks!

--
~~ Ken Moore ~~
PC-BSD/iXsystems