[PC-BSD Testing] Bluetooth is recognised but never works

David turbolad995 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 25 05:37:22 PDT 2012

On 24/10/12 14:24, Ken Moore wrote:
> On 10/24/2012 07:39, David wrote:
>> I have PC-BSD 9.1-RC2 on my Netbook (Samsung NB30) and although the
>> Bluetooth is recognised, I can't send files via Bluetooth.  I have
>> Ubuntu 12.04 on this same netbook and using an app called "Blueman"
>> (in Ubuntu) I can instantly send files from my mobile phone via
>> Bluetooth.  I simply Bluetooth files to my netbook and "Blueman"
>> pops-up a confirmation dialogue to accept or cancel. This is very
>> easy and user-friendly.  I'm hoping this same method could be used in
>> PC-BSD when transferring files via Bluetooth.  No "pairing" or having
>> to battle with pin codes.
>>
>> I have mentioned this in the PC-BSD forums (my username on there is
>> also David30) and I've been directed from there to this mailing
>> list.  It's my first post here and I've never used a mailing list
>> before, so still got lots to learn.  I'm also a newbie to PC-BSD, but
>> have plenty of time to beta-test it and help contribute to making it
>> better in any way I can.

> The current version of the Bluetooth manager *ONLY* sets up
> pairing/connections between devices, it does not currently facilitate
> the activation/usage of other bluetooth services (such as file
> sharing, etc...). You will still need to use the command-line FreeBSD
> methods for starting/using bluetooth services as necessary after the
> pairing is completed via the GUI.
>
> The link to the relevent section in the FreeBSD handbook is here[1].
> You will specifically want to look at the different protocol sections
> and how to activate them.
>
> I will be re-visiting the Bluetooth manager for 9.2 in order to try
> and setup some of the services automatically if possible. As I am not
> very familiar with using bluetooth services at the moment, so I would
> appreciate it if you could send the steps you needed to take for the
> appropriate services to access your device(s). This would greatly
> speed up the process of creating an automated procedure for the
> bluetooth manager to handle.
>
> Thanks!
>
> [1]
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-bluetooth.html

I have read that page in the FreeBSD handbook and I don't understand
which commands to use - the commands are too cryptic for me.  If users
want to transfer files from a Bluetooth device, like a mobile phone, to
PC-BSD, can it be made to behave in the same way as the "Blueman" app in
Ubuntu - that is, send files via Bluetooth to PC-BSD, click on "accept"
and the files are transferred immediately?