[PC-BSD Testing] Bluetooth is recognised but never works

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Wed Oct 24 06:24:51 PDT 2012

On 10/24/2012 07:39, David wrote:
> I have PC-BSD 9.1-RC2 on my Netbook (Samsung NB30) and although the
> Bluetooth is recognised, I can't send files via Bluetooth.  I have
> Ubuntu 12.04 on this same netbook and using an app called "Blueman"
> (in Ubuntu) I can instantly send files from my mobile phone via
> Bluetooth.  I simply Bluetooth files to my netbook and "Blueman"
> pops-up a confirmation dialogue to accept or cancel. This is very easy
> and user-friendly.  I'm hoping this same method could be used in
> PC-BSD when transferring files via Bluetooth.  No "pairing" or having
> to battle with pin codes.
>
> I have mentioned this in the PC-BSD forums (my username on there is
> also David30) and I've been directed from there to this mailing list.
> It's my first post here and I've never used a mailing list before, so
> still got lots to learn.  I'm also a newbie to PC-BSD, but have plenty
> of time to beta-test it and help contribute to making it better in any
> way I can.

The current version of the Bluetooth manager *ONLY* sets up
pairing/connections between devices, it does not currently facilitate
the activation/usage of other bluetooth services (such as file sharing,
etc...). You will still need to use the command-line FreeBSD methods for
starting/using bluetooth services as necessary after the pairing is
completed via the GUI.

The link to the relevent section in the FreeBSD handbook is here[1]. You
will specifically want to look at the different protocol sections and
how to activate them.

I will be re-visiting the Bluetooth manager for 9.2 in order to try and
setup some of the services automatically if possible. As I am not very
familiar with using bluetooth services at the moment, so I would
appreciate it if you could send the steps you needed to take for the
appropriate services to access your device(s). This would greatly speed
up the process of creating an automated procedure for the bluetooth
manager to handle.

Thanks!

[1]
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-bluetooth.html