[PC-BSD Testing] 9.1-RC2 - possible network issues?

Bridger Dyson-Smith bdysonsmith at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 10:36:33 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I'm using 9.1-RC2 amd64 on a Thinkpad x61. Overall: awesome! but I'm
running into an issue with my networking. I use both wired & wireless
interfaces at work, and I've enabled lagg0 for failover. Please let me know
if I'm doing something incorrectly.

Currently, I'm plugged in and my wireless is active, too (em0 & wlan0);
everything is working great. If I unplug em0, I need to restart [1] the
network for wlan0 to become active. After the restart, wlan0 works
correctly.

If I replug em0, I can't seem to do anything short of a reboot to get
*either* network interface to work. I typically try to ping one of our
servers or Google, every attempt is met with:

ping: cannot resolve www.google.com: Host name lookup failure

I've attached the outputs from three different ifconfigs:

   1. ifconfig-em0: initial state, everything seems to be working fine
   2. ifconfig-restartFails: post-replug state, where nothing will work
   3. ifconfig-postReboot: after rebooting and things are working again

I've read through lagg(4) and, from what I can tell, I don't seem to be
using it incorrectly, although if this isn't a recommended use-case for
lagg I'd like to know :). I want to say that I seem to recall slightly
different behavior from 9.0 -- I had failover in either direction (em0 >
wlan0 > em0) without having to restart the network (or at least I think I
had...). Could there have been a change in the Network Manager's
functionality between 9.0 and the 9.1-RCs?

Thanks very much for your time!
Cheers,
Bridger
[1] Right-click wireless icon in system tray & select Restart the Network.