[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD9.1-RC(1,2) on Dell Latitude not usable

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Mon Oct 22 11:25:20 PDT 2012

On 10/22/2012 12:56 PM, Productnews wrote:

> Am 22.10.2012 18:57, schrieb Arthur Koziol:
>
>> On 10/22/2012 11:03 AM, Productnews wrote:
>>
>>> I experience severe problems when I try to install PCBSD9.1, both with
>>> RC1 and RC2, which make PCBSD unusable for me.
>>>
>>> Configuration: Dell Latitude D610, 2 GB mem, 80 GB HD, 320 GB USB disk,
>>> Intel i915 graphics (1400x1050), USB-PS/2 optical mouse.
>>>
>>> Installing RC1 from USBLite
>>>
>>> 1. when choosing language (Deutsch), installer asks to abort the
>>> installation
>>> 2. does not ask for keyboard layout (Swiss German)
>>>
>>> 3. After reboot, the display wizard shows up, determines display as
>>> Intel, 1400x1050. Pross OK ->   screen goes black, system is dead,
>>> CTL-ALT-DEL has no effect, CTL-ALT-F1 etc has no effect.
>>>
>>> Obviously the system is useless this way.
>>>
>>> Booting RC2 from USBLive
>>>
>>> 4. the display wizard shows up (like in pt 3 above),  determines display
>>> as Intel, 1400x1050. Pross OK ->   screen goes black, system is dead,
>>> CTL-ALT-DEL has no effect, CTL-ALT-F1 etc has no effect.
>>>
>>> Obviously the system is useless this way.
>>>
>>> regards, Harald
>>>

>> Harald,
>>
>> The Intel driver in general is not so good for KMS/DRM yet.
>>
>> Arthur
>>

> Hi Arthur
>
> Galileo and Hubble work without problens with the Intel i915 1400x1050
> graohics card.
> what do you suggest for me to do? Forget Isotope?

Harald,

No, perhaps not forget Isotope. Kris might be releasing RC3 soon so
maybe it'll help you. Remember that Galileo (7.1) and Hubble (8.2)
didn't have all the KMS changes in it that 9.1 does. Did 9.0 work for
you? And we all know at this point that NVidia is the best supported
hardware on PCBSD because the KMS Intel driver is a mess.

Arthur