[PC-BSD Testing] 9.1-RC2 ssd, hdd and trim

Lars Engels lars.engels at 0x20.net
Sun Oct 21 05:30:17 PDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 06:14:00PM -0400, Kris Moore wrote:

> On 10/18/2012 16:18, Lars Engels wrote:

> It's not the

> >> This is by design at the moment. We want TRIM on by default so SSD's are
> >> happy. I'll find out if we can hide the warning though, since it just
> >> turns the option off at boot if TRIM isn't supported.
> >

> > But why is TRIM globally enabled for all disks in the system, if only
> > one of them (which isn't even used in this case) that supports TRIM?
> >

> Its on because it doesn't cause any issues (except for the warning), and
> at the moment I don't have any SSD auto-detection in the installer.
> Better to support SSD this way, instead of not at all. If I could find
> some geom magic keyword to indicate a SSD, then I could auto-detect and
> selectively enabled it. Do you know of any method at the moment?

Yes, camcontrol(8) can show if the device supports it:

 # camcontrol identify ada0
pass0: <M4-CT128M4SSD2 0309> ATA-9 SATA 3.x device
pass0: 300.000MB/s transfers (SATA 2.x, UDMA5, PIO 8192bytes)

protocol              ATA/ATAPI-9 SATA 3.x
device model          M4-CT128M4SSD2
firmware revision     0309
serial number         00000000114908FFE010
WWN                   500a075108ffe010
cylinders             16383
heads                 16
sectors/track         63
sector size           logical 512, physical 512, offset 0
LBA supported         250069680 sectors
LBA48 supported       250069680 sectors
PIO supported         PIO4
DMA supported         WDMA2 UDMA5
media RPM             non-rotating

Feature                      Support  Enabled   Value           Vendor
read ahead                     Yesyes
write cache                    Yesyesyes
flush cache                    Yesyesyesyes
overlap                        no
Tagged Command Queuing (TCQ)   nono
Native Command Queuing (NCQ)   Yesyesyes32 tags
SMART                          Yesyesyes32yes
microcode download             Yesyesyes32yesyes
security                       Yesyesyes32yesyesno
power management               Yesyesyes32yesyesnoyes
advanced power management      Yesyesyes32yesyesnoyesyes254/0xFE
automatic acoustic management  nonono
media status notification      notificationno
power-up in Standby            notificationnono
write-read-verify              Yesyesyes32yesyesnoyesyes254no0/0x0
unload                         Yesyesyes32yesyesnoyesyes254no0yes
free-fall                      notificationnonono
data set management (TRIM)     yes