[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 9.1-RC2-x64 installs failed

Curt Dox tigersharke at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 22:05:15 PDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Ian Robinson <fitchkendall at gmail.com>wrote:

> 9.1-RC2-x64-USB-Full
> 9.1-RC2-x64-DVD-Full
> 9.1-RC2-x86-DVD-Full
>
> Testing on HP xw9400 dual AMD64 Opteron (dual processors, each with two
> cores), 8Gb Ram, nVidia GeForce GT220, SATA disk controller & drives,
> wireless keyboard and mouse,.
> <snip>
>
> 5.  General comments –
>
> A.  This is a very nice release.  Operates fast.
>
> B.  I was almost thrown by some of the installation section screens.
> While the selection of windows managers has a “tricked-out” if not
> “sophisticated” graphical look, I feel it would be better to apply the KISS
> (keep it simple) principle and let the user see a list of the choices and
> put an “x” in the box or “fill-in-the-dot” to make the choice.
>
> C.  I had a similar experience with the first screen of the
> “which-disk-for-installation” routine.  It seems too easy to make a mistake
> when you have a pre-existing Windows installation, which would result in
> overwriting that slice.  That did not occur with me because of my previous
> experience with PCBSD installations, and it soon resolved with the look at
> the 2nd screen.  Although I know the PCBSD Manual makes adequate warnings
> to overwriting an existing partition or slice at pp. 20+ and pp. 53-56, new
> users might not see the manual until after insallation (and it’s sad but
> true that we all get in a hurry that we don’t read the manual first).  It
> would be wise to have the Installer identify what’s on the partitions early
> and have a warning box that says “WARNING – Installing to the selected disk
> or slice or partition will overwrite the contents.  You will loose
> everything on it if you continue.  Do you want to continue, Y/N?”

I also agree that there should be a delay at this point of the install
process. However, knowing how people tend to automatically click 'OK'
without reading (ie, on instinct upon seeing the dialog window), I proposed
an alternative that would take conscious thought to succeed. The concept is
described on the forums as http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?t=18078.
I quite suspect that even if deemed worthy of inclusion, it won't be
available for v9.1.