[PC-BSD Testing] stability of 9.1RC

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Mon Oct 1 08:19:40 PDT 2012

Hello,

last year I was testing and evaluating PC-BSD in the era of 9.0beta,
but after some time returned back to the (Arch)Linux.

Recently, I was considering to move both my (main) desktop and
(secondary) machines to Frugalware Linux, but then I realized that it
would not bring me much more stable OS and/or less admin time.

Then I tried PC-BSD 9.1-RC1 under vbox and I must say I'm *very*
impressed considering it is huge quantum leap in quality comparing it
to 9.0 and decided to move to it asap.

Too bad, but my netbook is 4GB machine but with newer ATI (mobile)
graphic card (HD6320) which is, afaik, not well supported under PC-BSD.

That's why I installed Linux Mint on that machine (the only remaining
dilemma is to continue using main Linux Mint edition with 'pro' of
having newer software - cons is requirement to regularly (every six
months) update OS or to use Linux Mint Debian edition being rolling
release - I'm accustomed to it being >10yrs Gentoo and Archlinux user,
but bringing somewhat older user (e.g. Xfce-4.8 instead of the present
4.10).

So, I'd like to install PC-BSD on my machine asap and wonder how stable
do you consider 9.1RC1?

I'm aware that according to BSD folks, the stability bar is much higher
than in Linux, but do you find any outstanding bugs in 9.1RC1?

If RC2 is not too far (any estimation) I can wait for it, but I
believe that 9.1 is not quite around the corner, I do not feel as
Archlinux user any longer and would like to move sooner in order to
complete migration before jumping to some other projects.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
A person who has given up all desires for sense gratification,
who lives free from desires, who has given up all sense of