[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 9.1-rc3 failure at X configuration

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Tue Nov 27 10:56:22 PST 2012

On 11/22/2012 03:42, Craig Thacker wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> The installation of PCBSD 9.1-rc3 seems to go through straight forward
> enough until it reaches X configuration. My monitor (1366x768) and
> video chipset (Intel) are picked up fine. However, when I click to
> confirm, my monitor loses the signal and switches off.
> I have tried manually setting the refresh rates and video chipset, to
> no avail, with the same results. Further, trying vesa mode ends in the
> same way.
> I am hoping this can be fixed in time for PCBSD 9.1 proper, and any
> assistance in the meantime would be much appreciated.
> Regards

The issue is that the configuration gui itself is using the intel
driver, and it has a bug on some chipsets which causes video to hang
after X closes. Try this, at the boot splash menu, select the option for
"VESA mode", then try selecting VESA later when it brings up the display
wizard. Does it work now?