[PC-BSD Testing] Attempted update to 9.1-RC3

Bridger Dyson-Smith bdysonsmith at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 09:45:25 PST 2012

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:

>  On 11/17/2012 06:51, Bridger Dyson-Smith wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
>  1) Would it be possible for Update Manager to pass the same errors as
> pc-updatemanager? I had tried to get to the update a few times this morning
> through the Update Manager, but it keep returning the following error:
>
>  "Failed to install:System Update to 9.1-RC3 Failed to install update!
> Please check your network connection, or change mirror servers in the
> System Manager."
>

>   After a couple of attempts in the GUI (checking mirrors) I ran
> pc-updatemanager and this was the result:
>
> # /usr/local/bin/pc-updatemanager install release-9.1-RC3
> ERROR: Less than 1GB free on /, please clear some additional space to
> continue!
>
>  Having that CLI error available in the GUI might help someone save a bit
> of time. :)
>

> This is already done for RC3, that was bugging me also :)

Awesome! Thanks! :)

>  2) I double-checked /:
>
>  # df -h /
> Filesystem            Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/label/rootfs0      2G    1.1G    659M    64%    /
>
>   Oops. Would someone be willing to share some ideas on how to go about
> cleaning up /? I started looking around, but I'm not really sure where to
> start. Maybe there are some previously applied updates (RC1 > RC2) that are
> cached?
>
>  Thanks in advance.
> Bridger
>

> That's for /, how about the /usr partition?
>

> df -h /usr
Filesystem         Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/label/usr0     83G     36G     39G    48%    /usr

I've got plenty of space in /usr. I've tried to do a little investigation
into this, but mostly what I've found amounts to, "You should probably
start from a fresh install." I'd like to avoid that, if possible, but I
can't really seem to identify what's taking up so much space in /.

Thanks a bunch, Kris!

Bridger