[PC-BSD Testing] 9.1-RC2 help doesn't

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Mon Nov 19 07:00:17 PST 2012

On 11/15/2012 12:41, Julian Elischer wrote:
> On 11/15/12 6:22 AM, Ken Moore wrote:
>> On 11/15/2012 02:11, Julian Elischer wrote:
>>> problem 1
>>>
>>> So when I log in, the first thing that pops up is a 'tips' type
>>> screen that points out features of the toolbar..
>>> like the life-preserver etc.  Only problem is that there is no
>>> toolbar, and no hint as to how to get one.
>>> Nor is there any hint as to how to start programs or how to start a
>>> shell. about 5 minutes clicking on things didn't produce much success
>>> but I eventually did find some stuff by accident.
>>>

>> What Desktop Environment(s) did you install? And which one were you
>> logging in to? There are a few of the "Unsupported Desktops" (like
>> ratpoison, openbox, etc..) that have almost no interface at all.
>
> I selected KDE..  now that I have it, is there a quick way to check?

On the login screen, once you select your user (but before you type you
password and hit enter), there should be a box at the bottom of the
screen showing which DE you are going to log into. Clicking that box
should pop-up a list of the currently installed DE's that you can choose.

>>> fresh install (under vmware on my OS-X 10.6 laptop).
>>>

>>> problem 2..
>>> I installed tuxmath to see if it was suitable for my child.
>>> but the (vmware) screen suddenly shrunk to a small window and the
>>> video of the games are only partly visible in the window.
>>> If I choose to go full-screen, the same happens (but of course the
>>> screen doesn't shrink) It looks like the game is choosing
>>> (unsuccessfully) some funny resolution.
>>>

>> I have seen this before on a virtualbox install, and it appears to be
>> an effect of the VM itself resizing the window to display the
>> application in "full-screen" mode at a lower resolution (set by the
>> game). Once the application was closed down, the window returned to
>> the original size for me though.
>
> yeahh it changed  back.. I'll chalk that down to a bad vmware
> interraction..
>

>>> problem 3..
>>> at some stage in my first session after install, just as I installed
>>> tuxmath, the PCBSD system control window suddenly greyed out, with a
>>> message "reading files" (or similar) and never came back.
>>> attempting to click on the 'x' button to make it go away got a
>>> "process not responding" message similar to OS-X does,
>>> except that the PID given in the window didn't exist.
>>
>> What PCBSD system control window? Could you be a bit more specific? I
>> am not familiar with the window(s) that you described at all.
>
> PCBSD system control panel

I will need to do some checking into this. I am unaware of any "Checking
Files" dialog for the control panel, so I will need to look through the
code and see what might have happened.
Can you describe what you were doing right before the error occurred
(aside from installing tuxmath)? That will help to narrow down the issue.

Thanks!

--
~~Ken Moore~~
PC-BSD/iXsystems