[PC-BSD Testing] 9.1-RC2 help doesn't

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Thu Nov 15 06:22:23 PST 2012

On 11/15/2012 02:11, Julian Elischer wrote:
> problem 1
>
> So when I log in, the first thing that pops up is a 'tips' type screen
> that points out features of the toolbar..
> like the life-preserver etc.  Only problem is that there is no
> toolbar, and no hint as to how to get one.
> Nor is there any hint as to how to start programs or how to start a
> shell. about 5 minutes clicking on things didn't produce much success
> but I eventually did find some stuff by accident.

What Desktop Environment(s) did you install? And which one were you
logging in to? There are a few of the "Unsupported Desktops" (like
ratpoison, openbox, etc..) that have almost no interface at all.

> fresh install (under vmware on my OS-X 10.6 laptop).
>

> problem 2..
> I unstalled tuxmath to see if it was suitable for my child.
> but the (vmware) screen suddenly shrunk to a small window and the
> video of the games are only partly visible in the window.
> If I choose to go full-screen, the same happens (but of course the
> screen doesn't shrink) It looks like the game is choosing
> (unsuccessfully) some funny resolution.

I have seen this before on a virtualbox install, and it appears to be an
effect of the VM itself resizing the window to display the application
in "full-screen" mode at a lower resolution (set by the game). Once the
application was closed down, the window returned to the original size
for me though.

> problem 3..
> at some stage in my forst session after install, just as I installed
> tuxmath, the PCBSD system control window suddenly greyed out, with a
> message "reading files" (or similar) and never came back.
> attempting to click on the 'x' button to make it go away got a
> "process not responding" message similar to OS-X does,
> except that the PID given in the window didn't exist.

What PCBSD system control window? Could you be a bit more specific? I am
not familiar with the window(s) that you described at all.

> Julian

~~ Ken Moore ~~
PC-BSD/iXsystems