[PC-BSD Testing] /var partition easily gets filled up

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Mar 29 08:38:12 PDT 2012

On 03/29/2012 01:59, Julian Elischer wrote:
> On 3/28/12 7:53 PM, claive alvin Acedilla wrote:
>> Hi Ken,
>>
>> I attached the disk usage of /var partition.
>> I already removed xfce, still df of /var is returning 96%.
>
> Also, make sure you have rebooted as there may be a process holding a
> phantom file open.

The PC-BSD stuff is only 20MB or so in your /var. It looks like the main
culprit here is /var/tmp, you have a bunch of instmp.* directories, some
of which are over 200MB, bringing /var/tmp up to 1.6GB. Not sure where
those came from, but if you remove /var/tmp/instmp.* it should clean it
up for you :)