[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD on Raspberry Pi

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Wed Mar 7 10:26:13 PST 2012

On 03/07/2012 12:02 PM, Kris Moore wrote:
> On 03/07/2012 12:45, Arthur Koziol wrote:
>> Ok so am I the only one who plans to get a Raspberry Pi and see if I
>> can stick some future version of FreeBSD/PC-BSD on it?
>>
>> Arthur
>>

> Yummm, Raspberry Pie!
>
> It's this device right?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
>
> The only problem is that it's ARM based, which we don't roll PC-BSD
> images of. But you are welcome to test out FreeBSD's ARM version. I
> bet if you posted to their lists they would be curious to know your
> results.

Kris,

Sorry to bug the list with this but it just popped into my head today.
Yes, I know you guys aren't rolling ARM but it's such a cool freakin'
device and for $35? Where can you get a whole system for $35? I mean,
forget Arduino and OLPC, and don't expect to run Crysis on it. But
still, the geek-out factor goes to 11, for me at least. :-)

I think the VGA driver is proprietary and rather locked up so that's a
bit of a drag but I think it has huge potential as a geek toy or even a
cheap HTPC. I'm going to wait a bit on the first gen of RPs to see what
people can do to/with them. No one is getting their pre-ordered unit
until June so the wait will be long. A couple of my co-workers here
ordered a few so I hope they let me play with a little.

cheers,
Arthur