[PC-BSD Testing] Various Issues

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Jun 28 06:42:02 PDT 2012

On 06/28/2012 04:59, Jacob Daniels wrote:
> Kris this the output of sndsat:
>
> pcm0: <NVIDIA (0x001c) HDA CODEC PCM (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
> pcm1: <NVIDIA (0x001c) HDA CODEC PCM (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
> pcm2: <VIA VT1708S_0 HDA CODEC PCM (Analog 7.1+HP/2.0)> (play/rec) default
> pcm3: <VIA VT1708S_0 HDA CODEC PCM (Digital)> (play)
> pcm4: <VIA VT1708S_0 HDA CODEC PCM (Rear-panel Digital)> (play)
> pcm5: <USB audio> (play/rec)
>
> But it (pcm5) does not show up in the sound configuation menu from the
> task bar,  only pcm2 which is my onboard input
>
> Also the reason I am writing about this is solely because I usually
> use my headset to make calls to my Family in Texas and aboard.. but
> there is no Google Talk... that additional software you download from
> Gmail's inbox, when you click on the make a call button
>
> Would it be legal for some one to make the plugin and it's contents
> compatible with bsd somehow,(getting proper permissions, etc) or is
> that up to Google alone?
>
> I could use the skype package, if it is not possible
>
> Thanks!

To change to the headset, you can adjust the /etc/sysctl.conf file, and
uncomment the following line:

#hw.snd.default_auto=1

If that still doesn't work, then add the following line:

hw.snd.default_unit=5

I've not tried Google Talk though, is it Linux native? If so maybe we
can get a PBI of it, but in the meantime you can use Skype.