[PC-BSD Testing] 9-STABLE 20120622 - Now available!

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Mon Jun 25 10:24:16 PDT 2012

Kris,

A couple quick things I've found on the new snapshot:

1. Doesn't like Intel IGPs at the moment. Tried both Intel 3D and Intel,
no go. Visual artifacting, etc and error spit back during auto-detection
stating "The previous attempt failed, please check your settings and try
again."  I resorted to using VESA and it worked fine. I read that the
FreeBSD dev working on DRM pretty much figured out the Intel VGA stuff
but it seems not quite yet or something changed in the most recent
stable 9.0.

2. No mouse for me on install but now I see it appears to be wholly
related to my Intel IGP. I tried to re-run VGA setup using option 6 from
the boot menu and the formally working mouse (with VESA) now won't work.
The cursor was there but I wasn't able to move it. Unplugging and
replugging mouse didn't make a difference. Tried other USB ports on the
back of my machine, nothing. Mouse *did* work after the system installed
and rebooted. Mouse also worked after my second attempt to use Intel
failed and I switched back to VESA.

3. While booting the first time and at the "PC-BSD (Press any key for
details)" screen, it seemed to be taking a long time to do anything. I
pressed space bar to see it complaining about "cd0:ata1:0:0:0:0 (Medium
not present - tray closed)" multiple times. I popped the DVD back into
the try and the boot process continued. Seems like it didn't want to
continue without the DVD in the tray post-install. It also complain at
shutdown as well.

Arthur