[PC-BSD Testing] pcbsd- snapshot-20120605 - font rendering

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Mon Jun 18 12:40:28 PDT 2012

On 06/11/2012 13:33, user10508 at gmail.com wrote:
> Font rendering has obviously changed in this snapshot; to my eyes font
> spacing (ems), are reduced, and font weight, heavy, is now more
> qt/kde-ish.
>
> Fine, however I run gnome and prefer gtk spacing and weight. How can I
> undo the changes made in this snapshot.
>
> Firefox menus are particularly unpleasant to my eyes.
>
> As an aside, I realize that user preferences, what is pleasing to the
> eye, vary from user to user.
>
> This would be a great option on the installer; what I call the linux
> font preference - heavy weight - as in ubuntu, fedora and most other
> distributions versus the original freebsd font rendering - with
> freetype2 bytecode interpreter and subpixel lcd rendering enabled, which
> results in a lighter weight font with better definition.

I implemented this change a as result of other users complaining that
our default fonts were too "small" and hard to see :(

I'm not sure if there is a solution which can please all people at all
times. Maybe we can just provide alternative font configurations, so
users can pick their default preference?